- Removal of [mature] scrap trees which were shading out new growth apples and/or cluttering the orchard space, which is currently composed of four rows extending from behind the Pearman Retreat House towards the horse pasture.
- Planting of apple trees to bring the total number to forty eight trees.
- Grafting of approximately thirty varieties of apples on the extant trees.
- Removal of ailanthus altissima colony on the site, which was previously spreading new growth uphill towards the orchard.
- Flagging of future elm tree placements along the interior side of the fence-line (opposite the road, extending from the Pearman House to the Purgatory Creek crossing).
Monday, March 19, 2012
Alta Mons Initiative: Apple Orchard Progress (3/17/2012)
On the morning and early afternoon of St. Patrick's day, the following modifications have been completed in/around the Roanoke College Environmental Studies Program's Heritage Orchard:
Posted by RCLeonard at 8:44 AM